His Royal Highness The Earl of Wessex KG GCVO is set to unveil a new national Wilderness Academy on Friday 8 September in Staffordshire, which will offer children and young people across the country the opportunity to develop and learn survival skills in the heart of the forest.
The Wilderness Academy is a new edition to Entrust’s Outdoor offer, which already provides a selection of outdoor activities including BMX trails, canoeing and high ropes. The Academy will give visitors the chance to realise their survival skills, from sleeping in tents, to learning how to build shelters, cooking food and lighting fires.
Entrust aims to provide unforgettable, fun and adventurous outdoor learning experiences to boost confidence, build character, promote health and wellbeing and develop awareness of the natural world. Entrust works closely with the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award and the National Citizen Service to offer personal and social development programmes.
On the day there will be the opportunity to:
- See His Royal Highness be received by Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of Staffordshire, Mr Ian Dudson CBE KStJ. HRH will unveil a commemorative plaque to open the academy and meet young people
- Hear from Simon James, Interim Chief Executive Officer of Entrust who will provide an overview of the Wilderness Academy, the role of Entrust and outdoor learning delivered at Laches Wood
- Meet young people and teachers from Madeley High School in Staffordshire who are engaged in the Duke of Edinburgh’s Awards in conjunction with Entrust and take part in some ‘camp craft’ activities
- Meet children taking part in climbing activities in the high ropes and climbing areas
- Learn more about the Wilderness Academy and have the opportunity to engage in some woodland craft activities with pupils from Barnfields School
- Visit and take part in an African drumming workshop as part of the Twilight Explorer provided by the Entrust Music Service
Simon James, Chief Executive Officer of Entrust, said:
“We are extremely honoured that The Earl of Wessex has chosen to visit our Laches Wood Outdoor Education Centre to unveil our new Wilderness Academy and meet some of the young people involved in outdoor learning. We see first-hand the benefits that outdoor adventure and exploration offers young people, promoting emotional wellbeing and inner strength. We hope to showcase the strength of our outdoor education offer to The Earl and our top-flight facilities which are on offer to young people all across the country.”