Working with ever-decreasing resources, Barnet Council needed to ensure residents felt supported whilst making necessary changes.
Together we transformed customer services; providing the best and most efficient possible service, taking advantage of evolving technology.
Savings on the provision of core services, with procurement savings and increases in income, are anticipated to be in the region of £125m.
As is the case for many local authorities, Barnet Council is working with ever-decreasing resources, and has already saved £144m between 2010 and 2017. Ensuring residents continue to feel well supported while these necessary savings are made is no small feat.
In autumn 2013 the London Borough of Barnet and Capita partnered in a mission to transform customer services.
Barnet was already committed to delivering quality services for residents and businesses. Key principles of their approach included providing the best possible customer service, operating as efficiently as possible and taking advantage of evolving technology.
As their strategic partner, we brought Barnet our specialist knowledge of customer service and our track record of unlocking value through innovation and continuous improvement.
Some of the key changes we have implemented include:
- a revamped website with a cleaner design and old content deleted
- a new online self-service facility giving customers the personal account information they need, at any time of day, for council tax, parking permits, libraries, housing benefits, waste and recycling, and environmental problems they’ve reported
- a single phone number for all customer enquiries
- a better and more consistent quality of customer service.
Four years on and the value delivered is hitting all forecasts, not just in customer satisfaction but in financial gains.
Over the 10-year term of the contract, savings on the provision of core services, together with procurement savings and increases in income, are anticipated to be in the region of £125m.
Notable achievements to date include:
- 78% of customers are satisfied with their customer service experience, which is up from 52% pre-contract.
- 93% of face to face customers are satisfied, up from 35% pre-contract. The service is consistently rated in the top three Face to Face services for all councils that use GovMetric scoring.
I am very pleased to see that, four years into the contract with Capita to supply our back office and customer services, we are delivering good service as well as making significant savings for the tax payer.
Leader of Barnet Council